The AABS announces Book Publication Subvention of up to $5,000 for individually authored books, edited volumes, and multiple-authored books in English that make a substantial scholarly contribution to Baltic Studies. The applications must be submitted by publishers, not authors. Priority will be given to single author’s first monographs.
Deadline: March 1, 2020
- Authors must be regular or student members of AABS for the year of the application submission as well as the immediately preceding year, at minimum.
- Subventions will be awarded for individually authored books, edited volumes, and multiple-authored books. Fiction books are not eligible. Priority will be given to an author’s first book, but others will be considered.
- Manuscripts must be in English and, in the view of the selection committee, make a substantial scholarly contribution to Baltic Studies. English translations of books published first in another language may be considered on a case-by-case basis.
- The Press must agree to acknowledge subvention support from AABS in the front matter of the book.
- Within two months of the book’s publication, the press must agree to provide an itemized report on how subvention funds were used.
- A press may submit no more than 2 applications per cycle.
- In order to submit an application, fill in and submit the online application form.
- Applications must be submitted by publishers, not authors. Manuscripts should be contracted and peer reviewed at minimum, preferably ready for the production stage.
- The application must include a proposal (single Word document or PDF file), which should consist of the following parts:
- Description of book, including its significance in advancing Baltic Studies (1,500 words);
- Author’s curriculum vitae;
- Two sample chapters of the manuscript, introduction, and table of contents;
- Copies of peer reviews of the book. These may be anonymous, but the publisher must confirm that the reviewers are scholars not affiliated with the author or otherwise have a conflict of interest;
- Indication of other sources of funding: including the contribution by the press and sources from the author’s institution;
- Budget from the press.
Please note that you are required to log in with your Google account in order to submit the online application form. However, after logging in, you may use a different email address in the form. A confirmation email will be sent to the email address that you have provided in the form, and AABS will be using that address for any future communication regarding your application.
All questions should be addressed to Vice President of Publications, Dr. Dovilė Budrytė, and sent electronically to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Decisions of the selection committee are final and will be announced 6-8 weeks after the deadline. Funds should be used within two years.